Forums General Creative Grooming Where do I start?
  • Topic: First time coloring

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 16, 2012 6:23 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I am going to use color for the first time. I have a Schnauzer with a mohawk and the owner wants it colored. Does anyone have any tips for me? Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated!!

• July 16, 2012 7:31 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Use lots of Kolestorol to keep the color from bleeding all over, use foils, put the color on before doing anything else so you have lots of time for processing.
    • July 16, 2012 10:02 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

If it's a first time for the client, I'd probably use blow pens. They usually wash/wear out pretty easily. If they love it, I'd go with a more permanent color like Manic Panic.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 17, 2012 6:59 AM CDT
    • First time coloring

In another couple months I'll be playing with color on a mohawk too.

I have an every 4 weeks Shih Tzu client that asked to grow out a mohawk. He has a nice white stripe on his head for it. I told her I sure can do it and when it gets a little longer we can add color if they'd like. She loved the idea!

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 17, 2012 1:08 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

For the guy I'm going to do it on, it will be pretty easy. They like his head and face short. I will just not cut the white strip. It's nice and centered. As it grows, I'll probably use some hair gel to make it stand.

Barb

• July 31, 2012 3:43 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I am opening up my new grooming salon and wanted to enhance my services by offering options to customers to have their canines colored. I have done much research and reading on the process and bought Dawn Omboy's dvd " A touch of color" Don't waste your time buying this dvd. I was so disappointed with this dvd as it was NOT informative at all, and for $40, I asked myself the best part of the dvd was the COVER not the CONTENT. I learned more on a you tube video. I thought we are all supposed to help one another and not try to fleece our fellow groomers. 2 THUMBS DOWN! if I had more, they would be down too!

• July 31, 2012 3:59 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I'm sorry to hear that. While I've not watched her DVD's, I've gone to countless classes, talked with her by email and phone numerous times and she's always been a wealth of information. I'm actually working on getting a seminar together here later in the fall.

Dawn would never try to fleece her fellow groomers. She is one of the most helpful people I've ever known and has always given advice, good advice, tips and tricks freely.

Have you contacted her about it?  Was there something specific you wanted to see that wasn't included?

Barb

• July 31, 2012 4:49 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Barb,

I received the dvd in the mail yesterday and was soooo excited about viewing it. I was so underwhelmed as she charged so much to show how she put 7 dots on her Mom's Bichon. Dawn did not say what color product she was using, just stating colors. I also think that what she did, anyone could do and did not feel this was worth paying for. I have put so much into getting my business started and knowledge is only going to make me a better groomer. I could have used that $40. Oh well.\, thanks for letting me vent, I am not intending to be mean BUT we are all out here trying to make a living and I completely felt this dvd was a waste of my money.

I am interested in finding out anything coming up on learning coloring techniques and designs.

Thanks for validating my issue Barb.

Teresa

• July 31, 2012 5:38 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Wow Teresa,

Sorry you were dissapointed and feel the need to publlicly flame me. The point of this particular DVD that you purchased through a distributor (who make money on their sales) is to show a real time video of applying multiple colors and how to rinse them without the colors bleeding into the rest of the coat. This is not always the easiest thing to do. The product used is the product shown and listed on the cover" Queen of Color"(glad you at least liked the cover) I wrote an article on this very DVD that appeared in Groomer to Groomer magazine.

I get many emails and FB messages from fellow groomers asking for my know how almost on a daily basis which I freely give since I am a hard working groomer myself. As for fleecing. it costs money to make, produce and package any product, Everyone get their cut especially the distributors or they would not distribute.

If there are specific questions you want answers to you should just ask and not attack. Anyone who has ever met me knows I share.

• July 31, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I view it more as corrective verbalization. I would want feed back about something I was putting out there. The fact is I AM VERY interested in what you have to teach, I just didn't see anything on this dvd that I didn't already know. I want to be great at what I do and a student is only as good as his mentor, and Dawn I have heard MANY wonderful things about you, so please seperate what I am trying to come across as purely from a professional learning level and NOT attacking you personally I don't even know you. I want to get into coloring and want to learn from the best, and your video was the first I bought because of the reputation you have. I just feel your dvd was not complimenting to your expertise!

Let's not let this go to the dogs now!

:)

• July 31, 2012 8:41 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I've watched that particular dvd as well as been lucky enough to attend one of Dawn's seminars, and I have learned a LOT! Best of all, it gave me the confidence to attempt color myself. It can be a bit tricky, and perhaps that dvd is meant more for beginners, but it does have some good tips in it.

• August 1, 2012 1:08 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

chucksgirl wrote: "Don't waste your time buying this dvd. I was so disappointed with this dvd as it was NOT informative at all, "

and then

" I just didn't see anything on this dvd that I didn't already know. "

Not being informative and it not having anything on it you didn't already know are two really different things when posting a review of a video.

"I was so underwhelmed as she charged so much to show how she put 7 dots on her Mom's Bichon. "

I'm not sure where you bought it, but on Dawn's website the description reads:

A  Touch Of Color

A real time video that will show you how to 
       get this cute and colorful design in record time

Step by step how to set the pattern
      Apply the color 
      And the all important rinse without color bleeding

It sounds like that's exactly what the video did.

Barb

• August 1, 2012 3:25 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Saying that she "fleeced" her fellow groomers is not 'feedback', it's bashing and bordering libel. When you say "Let's not let this go to the dogs now" I feel like you simply don't want the same harsh feedback you just gave a board member. Was it just that you felt it was okay to bash a groomer that wasn't ON this board? Or did you know she was a member and just thought it wasn't such a big deal to basically call her a scammer?

If you were that dissatisfied, did you contact anyone about getting a refund? When I buy a product, I research it and if I were to buy a product that is in MY line of work, I don't always expect to learn new things... sometimes it is a rehash of what I already know(did this for a whole afternoon long seminar once, but didn't go bashing someone as 'fleecing' me). The DVD has no way of knowing what YOU already do know about coloring dogs and it sounds like the cover said exactly what was on the dvd... so what did you expect to see on the DVD that wasn't there?

• August 1, 2012 3:47 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I don't think you realize that dvd's cannot be returned. GEEZ, I made a comment and have heard the responses! let it go already! I thought this was the place to be able to come to with ANY concerns. I am really ok with this, I just had my opinion and that's it!

• August 1, 2012 3:59 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Yes, you can come here with any concern, but when one is posted, you have to expect to get feedback on it.

That's especially true if you are possibly bashing a product unfairly.  The description of the DVD on Dawn's page is exactly the same as you described the DVD to be. 

I think it's more a matter of choosing the appropriate wording.  I think if you said that you were sorry you bought it because it was not new material to you as you had hoped, everyone would have sympathized with you. We've all been there.

Coming on and accusing someone of trying to rip off their fellow groomers because the DVD wasn't what you expected it to be, is a bit harsh.

Barb

• August 5, 2012 9:02 AM CDT
    • First time coloring

Another with colored cords!!

Addie's color is grown out a couple inches right now.  I'm trying really hard to be patient and let the color grow out. With the cords, the color stays and she's a bit tye dyed looking too.  I want to go back to just a soft pink on her but I have to grow the other out, and just keep trimming the cords back a bit until it does.  We're not going for the full cords to the gound on her. I like to keep them maybe 5 or 6 inches long.

Barb

• August 5, 2012 7:32 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

LOVE those colored cords! So cool! I wish there was a better market for creative grooming in my area. Unfortunately most of my clients are older people that don't care for that sort of thing. Where can I learn how to do the cords on a poodle? I have never seen cords on a dog in my area, and will definitely own a St. Poodle one day and would love to learn how to do this!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel