Forums General Creative Grooming Where do I start?
  • Topic: First time coloring

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 6, 2012 9:54 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Faye, you can start with little things like feather extensions or nail art and see how it goes. You might be surprised. :)

As for cords, they are basically controlled matting. Some dogs will form the cording fairly naturally. Others need some help to start. Addie felted really quickly. I then split the felting into small sections. As the sections grew, I continued to split and separate them. Because her coat is so soft and matted SO easily, her cords were formed and looking pretty good in just a matter of months. I started her in May 2011.

My other Poodle, Drew, would take years to cord. His coat just doesn't matt. It separates if he's not been brushed in 6 weeks, but that's it and he is in a very full continental.

If anyone is going to the All American in Chicago this coming weekend. I'll have Addie and Drew there with me.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• August 7, 2012 4:06 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

admin said:

Faye, you can start with little things like feather extensions or nail art and see how it goes. You might be surprised. :)

How do most groomers do this? Do they offer them as add ons or complimentary? I have a million (not literally) pens/bottles of polish that are gathering dust. Lol!

• August 7, 2012 5:37 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I would do them complimentary to start. If you get a big demand for them, then you can decide on charges.

Whenever I try something new like that, I always give the option of removing it or never doing it again if they don't like it. Most people aren't going to mind something simple done as an added suprise or bonus.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• August 7, 2012 6:10 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I will definitely look into trying it in the near future! I have learned which of my regulars are the laid back type and will start trying things with their dogs. Thanks for the tips!

• September 5, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

I have only been grooming since Dec.  I live in a small community that doesn't have alot of money for extras. Anyway I started doing feathers put pics on my website and facebook.  I have gotten several new customers because of this.  I do it for free if they are getting groomed.  It really doesn't cost that much more than bandanas or bows.  But the word is out and its been good for me!!! Not to start more trouble about the dvd. but... what is the name of the dvd.  I am a beginner and I have tried a few things with my dogs.  I put the Kolesterol on them but when I rinse them it still gets all over them?  I need a beginners dvd!!

• July 1, 2014 11:49 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Omg! All thoes doggies looked fantastic!! I really would like to eventually offer all kinds of extras, mostly things like soft paw caps, and dyeing, and I used to have a ton of thoes feather extensions in my own hair and I loved them! So thoes too! But first I have to get down grooming perfectly! I have done color with top performance on a golden retrievers tail fringe it was pink and didn't shown up well on her orange coat! I've ask the owner if we can try purple next time see if it takes better! Any advice on how not to stain the walls?! Lol!!

• July 2, 2014 6:48 AM CDT
    • First time coloring

I get color EVERYWHERE! LOL

No matter how careful I am, it's on me, all over the tub and on the dog in places I didn't want it......

Barb

• July 3, 2014 4:08 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

As usual this topic came up on GL just as I needed it!!!!   On Monday I am doing a large black and white Shitzu who is going to a theme party the next day.  It is a circus theme.  Mom said I could do something special so I am coloring him, hopefully clown like ;).  Since she doesn't want anything permanent I will be using chalk.  I have never done anything like this before - I think in my little town if a coloured dog walked down the street there would be a major car pileup!  So - any hints or pics would be appreciated and how do I remove it after the event.  Somewhere I heard that if I tried to wash it out i might set it and then it really wouldn't come out and I don't think Otis' dad would appreciate that. 

Thanks again for the info and for such an amazing source of help and inspiration.  Pat

• July 3, 2014 5:18 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

When I think of clowns, I think of polka dots.  It's simple, not too shocking and shouldn't be offensive to someone that doesn't believe in color.

Chalk should wash out. If not in one shampoo, it should in a couple. It usually doesn't last long. I have found though that some colors, some products on some coats don't wash out where they won't even hold for a rinse on another dog.

I found a color mousse at Sally's. It's not for pet use. I used it on my LH Chi's tail. It was super easy to do. I did it a month ago. She's not had a bath yet and it's still there. My daughter used it on her hair and it washed out in one shampoo.

Pet Paint, Dawn Omboy sells it, comes in a spray and it washes out in one wash. I doubt if Dawn could get it to you in time with the holiday tomorrow, but maybe by chance you could find it a little more local to you?

Barb

• July 5, 2014 4:34 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Looking for a quick and temporary color fix? Yes PetPaint would be a great product to start with since you do not have time to get my chalk. You can pick up some PetPaint at your local Petsmart. They have it on the shelf for sale.

please don't hesitate to ask questions, I am always happy to help our lounge members!

Dawn

• July 7, 2014 12:13 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

Thanks so much, you are all so marvelous!  I am going to do the ordinary sidewalk chalk because the Petsmart near me (or maybe here in Canada) doesn't sell the petpaints.  If I get more I will look into the PetPaints.  Do you ship to Canada?  

Thanks Pat

• July 9, 2014 12:10 PM CDT
    • First time coloring

HELP!!

Well I did the colouring with  sidewalk chalk and childrens washable markers and it went over great, will post pictures over the weekend, I did the dog Monday, and now its Tuesday and I have bathed the dog 3 times using all different products and I can't get all the color out.  Help

• July 10, 2014 11:58 AM CDT
    • First time coloring

I washed in everything!!  I started with my whitening shampoo thought I would give it a little extra boost (I had tested the colors on strands of dog hair the day before - sprayed them with hairspray and left them and they all washed out perfect).  Then I changed to my dirty dog shampoo, and then to just a regular tropiclean.  I then conditioned with tropiclean.  It was a bit better after hving.  

The blue and red chalk where the worst to get out although the red chalk on the black hair came out fine,  green and yellow almost washed out, just a tinge left.  the yellow washable marker left some staining also.

Thanks for your help Dawn

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel