Forums General Education Schools
  • Topic: NDGAA Written Tests

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 27, 2012 12:46 AM CDT
    • NDGAA Written Tests

I am toying with the idea of taking written tests at my workshop.  Is this possible?  How much preparation should I expect to need?

What is the test format?  Can someone post a question in the style of their test questions so I can gauge the difficulty, to help me know how much I need to study?

• August 27, 2012 7:17 AM CDT
    • NDGAA Written Tests

It's been a long time since I took mine, so they may have changed. I know they have several different tests, so you can't try to memorize it and share with someone else.

A large portion of it was breed identification. It shows the picture and, I think it's multiple choice, as to what breed.

The others are multiple choice and true or false questions.  Is white an acceptable (AKC) color for a Chow. How long should schnauzer eyebrows be?  (That one stumped me and I took a look at the breed id picture and from the multiple choice options, it was easy. :) )

I found them relatively easy if you have some good breed knowledge.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• August 28, 2012 6:43 PM CDT
    • NDGAA Written Tests

Oh thank you!  I have a lot of breed knowledge and feel confident that I can study to fill in the gaps of what I don't remember.

I ordered the study kits and recommended books but the haven't arrived yet!

• August 28, 2012 7:13 PM CDT
    • NDGAA Written Tests

I recommend going to the workshop that is usually held before the testing. Each tester is different I'm sure. You'll find out what little things they look for on the trims. My tester didn't want to see anything fall over the eyes when you combed the crown forward on the cocker. Knowing those little things can really help your score.

Barb

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.

• July 14, 2014 7:43 PM CDT
    • NDGAA Written Tests

The AKC Breed book for AKC Breeds.  There are also magazines for the dog fancy. There's the AKC Gazette for show information and Dog Fancy is geared more towards pet owners.  I love going to dog shows. It's a great way to see what the breeds should look like. While most of our pet dogs in the grooming salon are far from show quality, knowing what they should look like can help when doing breed trims.

Barb

• The following users say thanks to admin for this useful post:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel